Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tales from the Coop: Hawk-Proof Fence

Last week, Grandpa Steve and I spent the better part of a day building a 12'x12' chicken run that attached to the existing coop to protect the ladies from predators and to keep them from accidentally fence hopping too close to the doggies.

Less than a week later, I caught a hawk in the act of trying (and failing) to break in to gobble up a chicken.  I quickly ran to the camera and snapped a few photos of the culprit, a red-tailed hawk.  The picture to the left is of the fella posing in a tree after giving up.  Moments later five sparrows chased him off.  I estimate Mr. Hawk to be 20 inches tall or so but I didn't get a very good look at him.

The lower picture shows him trying to break into the top of the chicken run.  I am so amazed that I was able to take a pic of the criminal in the act and it wasn't even too blurry.  I feel a little like I'm on CSI, zooming in on the bird and making a positive ID.  The top of the coop was closed in with multi-purpose plastic screening; who knew it was so strong! 

No comments:

Post a Comment